Friday, July 6, 2012

DIY Salad Bar


On a warm summer's evening I had three requirements for dinner:
  1. I didn't want to turn on the oven or stove (much.)
  2. I wanted a meal that was light and refreshing. 
  3. I wanted something new, different and that would provide my kids with a modicum of stimulation after a long day of sibling snarking.
DIY Salad Bar to the rescue! We sliced, diced and sauteed (just a little) and came up with a meal that was delicious, nutritious...you know the deal! Rush to your local farmer's market or farm stand, supplemented by a few things you may have on hand and you'll have yourself a meal in minutes.


The bar...


The bar -- close up: veggies.


The bar -- close up: proteins.


The bar -- close up: the treats.

 
An assortment of dressings. And a cat. She'll have the tuna flavored one.


YUM!


The great part of this meal is it makes standard healthy fare fun for kids. They get to pick & choose and assemble their meal -- DIY style. You can be as creative as you want! Some topping ideas are:

 What do you like to add to a salad? Any other topping ideas? Please share them below.

Bon Appetit,
Deirdre




life rearranged

13 comments:

  1. D,
    I love, love, love this idea!! How fun! My kids will totally be into the idea of creating their own meal. Thanks for sharing!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I had more interesting serving items- it would have been even more fun! Thanks friend!

      Delete
  2. I'm ready for a huge, delicious salad for lunch! Looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi there! Following you from the Aloha Friday blog hop! Look forward to reading more! Come on by and check out my blog! I would appreciate the follow back! Have an awesome weekend!
    -Kat

    http://mom-uncensored.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Kat-- Just stopped by! YOU have an awesome weekend!

      Delete
  4. Did you know that I wasn't already following ya here? How is that possible? Anywho I am now and just wanted to say thanks for joining us for The ALOHA Friday HOP!!! Have a beautiful Saturday and Sunday...

    xo,
    Nicole
    localsugarhawaii.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This blog is a relatively new project...we're just getting in the swing of things - Ladies Holiday was seeing too many food posts, so we decided to give them their own home.
      CHEERS!

      Delete
  5. Oh, and this salad bar is such an amazingly genius idea. really.

    ReplyDelete
  6. yum!!! great idea! Salads are about the only thing that sounds good to me during the summer!! Thanks for the follow. Following you back! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. perfect in every way!! and the smorgasbord idea has got to be a hit with every kid!! looks yummy!
    I am your newest follower..pls follow back if you can.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Carole- we'll recipe swap! I'll come check it out:)

    ReplyDelete