Friday, July 27, 2012

Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough & Peanut Butter Chillers


These inside outside-upside-downside chocolate chip cookie dough and peanut butter dip chillers came to me as an inspiration on a warm summer day when ice cream was requested, but the freezer was (gasp!) empty.

When I was a kid I would eat cookie dough by the roll. You know the roll I am referring to. The blue one with the cute and seductive rolly-polly little fella on the package that practically shouted, "Eat Me!" and not in a snarky thirteen year old way. But in a just disregard the warning for salmonella written in itty bitty writing and have a taste of raw cookie dough. Only it wouldn't stop at just a taste and would result in half the roll sitting in my then queasy belly.

I've grown up and heed those warnings to avoid raw eggs, but I still love cookie dough and have found some great egg-free cookie dough recipes. I often use egg replacer or a flax egg. My family shares my fondness for all things cookie: raw or cooked and so we often bake up a batch, but when it's hot out the oven is the last thing you want to crank up to 350 degrees.

When there is no ice cream, Popsicles or any other manner of refreshing sweet, you invent...and here I married cookie dough and another of my family favorites: peanut butter.

Inside..

Outside...


Upside-down-side


Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough & Peanut Butter Chillers
by Deirdre
Prep Time: 15 mins
Cook Time: 1 Hour Chill time plus Freezer



Ingredients (1 dozen)
  • Cookies:
  • 3/4 cups butter or butter alt
  • 3/4 cups powdered sugar
  • 1/4 cup granulated/cane sugar
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 1 cup all purpose flour
  • 1/2 cup wholewheat pastry flour
  • scant 1/2 cup milkor milk alt
  • 1/2 cup chocolate chips
  • PB Shell:
  • 3 tbsp butter or butter alt ( I hear coconut oil works well, but haven't tried)
  • 1/3 cup peanut butter
  • I've made these several times and want to caution to bite carefully! Don't break a tooth!

Instructions
1. Bring butter (or butter alternative like earth balance margarine) to room temp or warm for thirty seconds. Using an electric mixer incorporate sugars and butter. Then add vanilla and mix it up, scrapping down the sides.
2. Add baking soda and powder and salt. Mix well.
3. Add flours then slowly mix in milk (or milk alternative like almond milk) in thirds until mixture comes together to form a dough. I found that just a hair under a 1/2 cup was ideal.
4. Add chips and mix.
5. Put bowl in refrigerator for 15-30 minutes to chill.
6. Toward the end of that time prepare a cookie sheet with waxed paper. And measure out peanut butter and butter and set aside in a microwave safe bowl or in a small saucepan.
7. Roll a generous tablespoon of dough into a ball using hands until all dough is used.
8. Warm peanut butter and butter (I found about 45 seconds to a minute in the microwave worked.
9. Working quickly (use a fork) dip balls in pb&butter mixture and set on waxed paper atop cookie sheet.
10. Place in freezer to set for at least a 1/2 hour. Remove and enjoy- quickly! Or keep in a sealed container in the freezer for a couple weeks.

*the cookie dough is a variation on several vegan cookie dough recipes I've found, combined and adapted but you can use your favorite.

Powered by Recipage


Bon Appetit!
Deirdre

P.S. I'll say it again (mostly because I'm a mom and we say these kinds of things) bite carefully! I am not responsible for your teeth!

2 comments:

  1. Okay... I think I might die for these!!!


    Oh and my GFC is being weird, but it let me follow you through it using my twitter... how cool is that?! I didn't know you could do that :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just the thing on a hot day! Thanks for the follow.

      Delete